Thursday 29 October 2009

Quackers

I must be bonkers, I'm a sucker for a creature sob story, especially when it involves 'dispatching ' of the said creature unnecessarily.Which is why these 3 funny young things have taken up residence in our already chaotic home..

Lily, Stanley and Hilda...



Stan is named after Stan Laurel as he's the dopey comedian. Have you ever heard of a duck that's afraid of water?..we have to actually put him in the paddling pool and he then does somersaults and flaps about having a marvelous time making the clean water nice and muddy! Lily is the white Aylesbury and Hilda a mix between the two. They do a little dance when they see each other, bobbing their heads up and down whilst walking sideways and making a noise that sounds like laughing. Stan the man who resembles a walking stick (he's a runner duck, the chappie in the middle) seems to walk an extra 10 steps for the others one which is rather funny to watch...we call it 'timmy tiptoes', something Harry used to do when he was about 3! Luckily we had a house already which is ideal for them to sleep in, the difference between them and the chickens is that you have to tell them to go to bed, the hens go to roost at dusk by themselves..but with these 3 characters we have to say "come on, go to bed now " and in they go making a bit of a song and dance about it.
I dread to think what my lawn is going to look like this winter.They have a plastic apple shaped sandpit for a pond at the moment but more water seems to end up over the sides.
The dog wants to play with them, the rabbit isn't quite sure of them,the hens just follow and stare at them and the cats are rather cautious too, but me.. I'm already in love with these dear funny little ducks...I really must be quackers.

p.s..thanks for putting up with my stupid face for so long...I think some of you must have very dirty computer screens after those nice comments you left!! lol

15 comments:

  1. Well done to you for being a Duck Mum - they are soo cute and I'm sure will be very happy in your garden!

    love Sam xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are lovely. Now pass the bread sauce. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be quackers too, because I just love them and we only just met.
    Hugs,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done! i love ducks. they would be great to draw?
    love
    lyn
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so lucky to have your lovely menagerie, they must be so much fun and well worth the work.....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely ducks! It's raining so hard here at the moment that even the ducks have gone into the barn and we know how much ducks love water :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ooooh.....I'm SO tempted to get some ducks and yours are gorgeous.

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like heaven Sairer. I was immediately thinking of Tracey's garden after her ducks moved in and then thought you have probably already seen that post. So no muddy surprises for you I guess. I doubt you'll care anyway - so have lots of fun with them all.

    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Most of my critters came to me because I love them and the previous owners didn't want them anymore too. Love your duck stories. I need some more ducks I think.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awww, what lovely ducks! Love the chickens too. We've recently got three chickens and they are so much fun!
    Laura x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aah, they are beautiful!& I love their names
    Have a great weekend
    x

    ReplyDelete
  12. oooooh they are adorable!!! I so want to get ducks but thought I'd wait until Spring ... hmmm now I'm thinking I might just get them sooner :o) I have 4 girls (hens) too and just love watching them in the garden, they really do have their own personalities :o)

    ReplyDelete
  13. We are duck lovers from way back. They are the nicest creatures to care for and live with! PLUS, THEY EAT SLUGS! If you let them roam the garden in early Spring, you'll defeat the slugs before they even get going!

    http://gmglimmerglass.blogspot.com/2009/03/spring-is-springing.html

    Enjoy your new friends!

    Genevieve

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love ducks too. Indian runners walk like Prince Charles don't you think?

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou for being so lovely as to leave a message!..I try to reply to your messages on here,so check back if you dont hear from me..but please dont be offended if I dont get time to respond, each one is totally appreciated. They make my day. x

PS. Advertising messages automatically get deleted...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...