Wednesday 9 December 2009

stuff and nonsense

I've been doing something to keep my brain activated and to stop it thinking about that other stomach-flipping horrid stuff. I can't really say it's relaxing though, as it generally gives me a headache,hurts my neck, strains my eyes and my thimble-less finger. It's rather time consuming, so I have to fit it in after work, putting the ducks to bed and making the tea but I have to say, it was quite good to be doing it when I didn't want to watch the nasty, eating bits in 'I'm a celebrity' on the TV.
No money in the entire world would make me eat that vile nonsense...although Pete did say he would in fact eat a poo sandwich for half a million quid..cheapskate. (He's going to kill me for sharing that, such intelligent conversations we have between us here at Shabby Towers)
Anyway, changing the subject quickly, this is what I have been doing of late, patchworky stuff. Patchwork is one of those things I have wanted to do for absolutely ages and ages and could never be bothered. It looked too fiddly and time consuming but all the inspiration on flickr and those clever, crafty people out there doing it on a whim has made me finally give it a go. I'm what you would call an impatient seamstress, so don't look too closely as my hexagons weren't too perfect. I normally want anything I make finished there and then but for some reason I have managed to beaver away with my hexagons and faff about with pretty fabrics for the past week or so. Here's a little peek of the ones I've already stitched together...It's eventually going to be a cushion cover, I dont think for a minute I could manage something bigger than that! I'll show you when it's finished.

One of my sisters brought this round today ...woopy-do! a proper Christmas tree with a proper Christmassy smell and sheddy needles..hooray.
Please can somebody tell me why cut trees are so expensive in Malvern (£40+) and so cheap in Gloucestershire (£8!) ? I was beginning to think I might have to decorate a house plant this year and my sister, Nikki has saved me with a present of a tree.
Then there was this surprise box of goodies posted from my other sister up northSo now the tree can do it's job properly and guard a present or two, it would have looked rather bare around the bottom otherwise! I bought these felty toadstools several weeks ago from the shop I work in. I knew they were destined to hang from our tree the minute I saw them, along with some teeny polka dot glass baubles. They're from Germany and I think they are fab!Harry decorated the tree again this year, it helps that he's at least a foot taller than me, as it's a HUUUUGE 8 foot one this year. Job well done stinky boy..Random baubles and a bit of madness thrown in for good measure, very 'us'...well, who else would think of having a plastic giraffe sitting in the branches of their Christmas tree?

Our other news is that Pete has obtained some work with an agency, it's odd days, poorly paid,very early starts and almost verging on part-time compared to his last job, but it's work and work pays bills.
I keep telling him to stop moping around with a face that looks like a slapped backside and think of it as time off to do much needed jobs like clearing out the guttering and painting rooms that so desperately need doing, as well as filling in application forms. I'm a bit of a slave driver but I think he would slip into a deep depression and become addicted to daytime TV if I didn't poke him with a stick now and again. We are trying our hardest to stay positive and think of it as something other than a horrid and worrying time. It's pretty demorolising having to borrow money off your kids for food but to be honest I'm past caring now!

Before I sign off for another week or two, I promised this lady I would tell you about her fab blankets. For those of us who aren't crocheters, she will make one for you if you'd like her to.She made all of mine and she made some of the gorgeous ones for the VW campers for hire on www.snailtrail.co.uk. Do drop her a line if your interested, she's lovely!

Cheerio for now xx

19 comments:

  1. Your tree looks lovely.

    Keep poking that man with a stick, if you don't get all these little jobs done whilst he's between jobs you never will!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad Pete has soething, if only temporary. Filling in application forms is soul destroying but a freshly painted room has its merits. Our mantra has always been - well if it pays the gas bill it's better than nothing(don't know why electricity or council tax etc never features!)
    We've been a bit cross at the cost of things in Malvern lately. I've been told prices are raised by the area being full of cofortably off retired people - in which case it seems age doesn't bring wisdom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry, haste made spelling/typing a bit erratic in last comment but you get the gist!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christmas trees are v expensive this tear. We must have wasted a fiver in diesel trekking round to find one reasonably priced, only to get one from right round the corner, parting with £50, the other half was most miffed. He wished we'd bought one in the West Country (£27). Glad your Pete has some work to keep him going and the new year will no doubt bring new and better things for you.

    Now lady, loving your hexies, I'd love to give this a go, not least as it's something I could do in front of the telly instead of on the machine but I haven't made any- as yet! More importantly, the fabric in photo no.2 (greeny hexies photo), do I spy a pretty Cath K "Provence Rose" fabric? This is currently adorning items in oilcloth form only but I was wondering if it had been produced in cotton as there is a bit of it appliqued onto a tablecloth in Cath's Sew book. Please put me out of my misery and tell all!
    Hen xxx
    P.S. Love the felty bauble decs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was amazed to find how the price of Christmas trees vary so much in my area!
    I adore the crochet!
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Am thinking of you X
    Love the patchwork. Keep your chin up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh my gosh, I copied & pasted the wrong URL for my blog.
    sorry! (duh)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh you are brave. I remember trying to make hexagon patches and I think I gave up after about seven.
    I love the mushroom hearts and thanks SO much for the link to the camper van hire company. Perhaps this is the only way I'll get to be in one.
    Bought my tree today. 7ft. Cost almost £50.

    ReplyDelete
  9. H there Sairer , many thanks for my blankets on your blog ! we could do with some at my house , as heating has broken down now for 5 days ! Thanks again , take care & merry xmas , with an even better new year Luv Helen xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your tree looks lovely Sairer ... and, personally, I don't see anything unusual about a plastic giraffe in the branches (we have a hedgehog wearing a bonnet somewhere in ours!).

    So glad to hear that your hubby has some work, and yes, keep at him with the 'to do' list! Hopefully the New Year will bring better fortune all round.

    The fabrics in your patchwork are so pretty - go on, make a quilt!!

    Willow xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. A stunning pot!
    Beautiful blankets!
    I love the snipets of Provence rose, did CK do that as fabric at some time?
    Oh I so wish I'd doscovered her earlier!
    Your home is so pretty!xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh..I wish I had the patience to do patchwork!Yours looks so pretty.
    Love your quirky decorations on the tree.Yes, you do have to search around to compare prices and not get ripped off.Have joined your followers.

    Bellaboo

    ReplyDelete
  13. i love your attitude!

    And I really, really love those hexagons.
    Come stop by for a visit, I've done a hexagon, crochet blanket!
    Great post and pics, Thank you!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi there Sairer , have a great xmas and i hope an even better new year , take care , much luv Helen XXXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Sairer:

    Just wanted to wish you health, happiness and prosperity.

    Merry, Merry Christmas!

    Lisa xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi there sairer , hope all is well , and not too much snow ! snowing like crazy here ! please keep in touch , and i hope you have a great new year , much luv Helen xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. That hexagon patchwork is superb! Take a look at my weblog what I am making ; www.dorryvanbeers.blogspot.com

    Dorry

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the Hex cushion shapes! Such pretty material. I never seem to find any when I search!

    Lesley

    www.lesleybonney.co.uk
    (new web coming soon)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love the shabby stuff. I like your dedication too in creating that patches..I don't have the patience in forming them but I'm learning after reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thankyou,thankyou,thankyou for being so lovely as to leave a message!..I try to reply to your messages on here,so check back if you dont hear from me..but please dont be offended if I dont get time to respond, each one is totally appreciated. They make my day. x

PS. Advertising messages automatically get deleted...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...